Thursday, February 21, 2008

"Bridget"

By Jasmon Drain


No one devotes attention
since I’m Ms. Foster -- a kid
stripped from the womb

Initial mistakes brought me
and flooded my adolescence
with halfhope.

I am unclaimed because of lengthy legs.
Singing well in churches
bought me additional time with the temporaries

But often I awoke with phony sisters/brothers
sharing loose clothes and
early penetration

I’m unable to explain my lineage
my last name
my next meal.

I can however
explain
rejection.

Bridget is the name Jasmon Drain chose for a chance meeting the author had with a little girl roaming Lexington Avenue in New York City. The author would like to thank MyStoryLives for support and the opportunity to allow this literary voice to be heard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully crafted and very powerful!