Monday, March 12, 2018

Pink Tulips, Observed


I bought the last batch of pink tulips at the grocery store.
Came home and set them carefully into a clear glass vase
and stared.
The tulips are the color
of the two lips of a newborn,
the blossoms' flesh cupped in yellow and white at the center.

I thought, I will take a photograph and share it.
Except.
Nothing photographs quite right when there isn’t enough light.
I carried the flowers around the house,
setting them here and there,
turning on all the lights,
even the emergency lantern,
taking one lousy photo after another.
I even set them next to the bathtub.

Waiting for sunlight to brighten your tulips
is a little like waiting for spring is a lot like
WAITING FOR ANYTHING.
More or less, it's a waste of time.
Be
Here
Now.
Is always the invitation
Is always the challenge.

Two days later,
this morning,
the sun rose on the tulips


And they are glorious.

No comments: