Monday, August 07, 2023

Ours is a Wedding Like No Other!!!

Who knew that Tullio could play the cello?

Who knew that he would play the Ave Maria at the wedding, several times over, and, and that when he finished, almost everyone was in tears!

That was just one of many surprises on my wedding day, which was so special and so beautiful that it's hard to know where to begin.

I suppose I should start by saying that Mama made me a dress that had no equal. On the morning of the wedding, when the sun was shining in a milky blue sky, she helped me into the dress and the white silk felt like skin against my skin. Nunzi, who miraculously wasn't throwing up, combed and pinned up my hair.

How I wish that we had a big mirror in our house, so that I could have seen my whole reflection in the morning. Mama has a small hand mirror and she held it up to me, moving it up and down, and from what I could see, I looked awfully pretty. But it wasn't until later in the day, when we were all in San Lucido at the reception, that I saw the way I must have appeared to others.

"You are the most beautiful bride I've ever seen," Nunzi whispered as she helped me place the crocheted veil. Mama agreed -- she stood there holding a handkerchief and dabbing her eyes.

Mama thought of everything. I would have had to wear my old leather boots had it not been for the slippers she crocheted. I wore white stockings, and the crocheted slippers tied at the top. Thankfully, because Giovanni was sending a carriage for me, I wouldn't be walking in the street!

It would have been lovely if Mama had had time to sew a dress for herself! And for Nunzi! When I said that, the morning of the wedding, they both wrapped their arms around me and Mama whispered, "Filomena, this is your day, and your dress is the only one that matters!

The carriage pulled up about ten a.m. It was a cool morning. Our street is so narrow that the horse and carriage took up most of the space. The driver, someone I didn't know, had thought to bring a stool, so I could climb in, holding onto Nunzi's hand for support.

I felt like a queen riding through Paola; people I had known my whole life were gathered in the streets to wave to me. I was glad to be sitting next to my mother, and Nunzi, because they both mean so much to me. A sort of procession formed in the wake of the carriage. There wasn't a soul who wasn't coming to the church, as this was a wedding like no other!

There was a crowd waiting at the church, and they clapped as the driver helped me down from the carriage. A young woman I didn't recognize greeted me at the top of the stairs, with my wedding bouquet -- the most fragrant white lilies with red centers. I thanked her, and she nodded, and bowed, and disappeared.

All of a sudden I felt an intense fear -- I looked around, and found Mama two steps away. I wasn't expecting tears now, as here I hadn't gotten married. I reached for her hand and squeezed it. Why was I suddenly so afraid?

For one thing, I was missing my Papa intensely. He would have walked me down the aisle, and for a while as we planned the wedding, we weren't sure who would have that honor. Finally, my mother decided to ask her first cousin Arturo if he would give me away, and he agreed.

And so now, Arturo appeared. He has a kind face, and a large mustached. He hugged Mama and then he hugged me. We stood in the back of the church, and I looked around, nervously, for Giovanni, but I didn't see him.

There were still a few minutes before mass was to begin. Mama led me into a tiny alcove off to one side of the church foyer. People were streaming into the church, but they couldn't see me as I was tucked away behind a thick stone archway.

"Sit down, Fi," Mama whispered.

"No, Mama, I'm too nervous, I would rather stand."

She smiled at me.

That's when I heard a swell of the sweetest music, low and bellowing, and, I just had to step back into the sanctuary! Up front I saw Tullio playing the cello. Giovanni had said that there would be a big surprise for me at the church the morning of the wedding, and Mama and Nunzi knew what it was, but no one had breathed a word of it to me.

He was playing the Ave Maria. Instantly, I felt a calm like no other. The music set fire to goosebumps up and down my arms and legs. It sank into my chest, and began filling me with joy. I inhaled and smiled; tears started down my face. Mama set a handkerchief into my hands and I wiped my eyes.

I realized then that there was nothing to fear! Everyone was so happy for me. Soon Giovanni would appear and an hour after that, we would be husband and wife!

Closing my eyes, I let the cello music fill me from head to toe. I was so focused on that beautiful musical tribute to the Virgin Mary that I was surprised when Mama whispered, "OK, Fi, it's time!"

She took my elbow and guided me back into the church aisle where Arturo stood, looking very sober. Mama took hold of my face and whispered, "Ti amo!" and then she kissed my cheek and stepped away. I slipped my arm around Arturo's and he took hold of my hand. Everyone stood up and Tullio began playing another piece of music for the procession, a piece I didn't know, but oh was it beautiful.

I was smiling at my neighbors, on the left and the right. It wasn't until I was almost half-way up the aisle when I looked forward and there was Giovanni! He wore a simple white shirt with a stand up collar, and his wild hair had been clipped, so that his curls were thick and full, much like they had been that day I met him on the beach almost exactly ten months ago. He had a wide smile, and a small red flower was pinned to his shirt. Eduoardo stood beside him.

Arturo gave me a gentle kiss and handed me over to Giovanni. Nunzi waited to take my bouquet.

G and I stood there squarely facing Father, who was only a foot away. He proceeded to say Mass, all in Latin. I found myself drifting away over and over again, daydreaming, thinking about Giovanni and me, walking on the beach.

Before I knew it, Father was ready to give the two of us Communion. After he lay the white wafer on my and Giovanni's tongue, he turned to face the rest of the parishioners, who lined up to take the sacrament.

When I look back on the wedding service, it's all a blur. All I really recall after Communion is Father blessing us one last time. Then we were standing, and embracing; Giovanni looked at me with the sweetest expression on his face.

We walked slowly back down the aisle, with G holding my hand and my elbow. After kneeling for most of the hour, I wanted to jump up and run out to the beach! I wanted to yell and wave but I knew I had to restrain myself. There was time for all that at the reception!

********

There are two words to describe the wedding reception at San Lucido: heavenly and delicious! About two hundred people from Paola crowded into the foyer of Giovanni's house --- or should I say, Giovanni's and my house! Neighbors rode on carts, and many people walked! It was the largest party I've ever attended.

The weather couldn't have been better. Thin morning clouds disappeared, as did the mist over the ocean. As G and I rode back to San Lucido, snuggled against one another (the carriage made at least ten trips back and forth, carrying my mother among many others!) I let my eyes rise to the blue of the sky and then dip into the azure water glossed by the sun. The blue of the water chased that of the sky, back and forth, all day long.

"Are you happy Filomena?" Giovanni spoke this into my hair, leaving his face nestled there.

"More than I ever thought possible," I replied. "I think I need to invent some new words for happy!"

G tossed his head back and laughed. "Ah, Fi, you are always the writer!" He kissed me hard on the mouth. "And did you enjoy the cello?"

I lifted my hands up. "Oh Giovanni, it was like angels up in heaven were playing the Ave! I wanted to tell Tullio how much I loved it but there was no time."

He nodded. "Well you can tell him this afternoon! We will have a violin and more of Tullio's cello and a harp as well."

"This all feels like a dream to me, Giovanni!"

"Yes, but the nice thing is, Fi, when you wake up tomorrow morning, you will see, you will still be dreaming!"

The trip to San Lucido took no time at all. Soon G was helping me down from the carriage. Two servants, a man and a woman, awaited, holding flute glasses filled with champaigne. I was pleased to see that Pietro was back!

"Hello Pietro!"

He bowed. "My deepest congratulations, Signora Masiero!"

My eyes popped open. This was the first time I was hearing myself addressed as Giovanni's wife.

"Thank you Pietro." He handed me a glass, so now I had my bouquet in one hand and the champagne in the other.

"Signora, may I take your bouquet?" I had not met this pleasant young woman with long wavy black hair.

"Oh that's OK, I would like to hold onto it," I said.

Giovanni took a glass and the two of us proceeded into the foyer, which had been transformed. Everywhere I turned there were long tables at the outside edges of the room, each draped in pristine white cloths. Large vases filled with lilies sat on each table. In the center of the foyer were perhaps two dozen round tables, covered in tablecloths and surrounded by white chairs. On the tables were pots of red geraniums.

Silver trays sat on the long tables. I could see piles of shrimp, and large platters filled with cheese and crackers, slices of bread and prosciutto with melon.

The party had not yet begun. Once the guests started to arrive, and they came in droves, waiters carried out platter after platter of brushchetta, fried calamari, tiny slices of eggplant each dabbed with sauce and mozzarella. Not to mention the big bowls of salads: arugula and parmesan, dressed with olive oil and lemon, a mixed fruit salad, made up of melon with oranges and grapes, and a cold pesto and macaroni salad.

At one point, Arturo came up to me with his wife, Sarafina. "Filomena, who has ever heard of a wedding like this, one fit for a king and queen?"

I smiled shyly. "I hope you enjoy yourself, Arturo," I said.

At that moment, I noticed Tullio over in the corner, taking his cello out of an enormous black case.

"Oh Giovanni, Tullio's here," I cried. G and I rushed up to him. Tullio set the cello into its case and embraced me. "I have never heard music like you played today," I told him. "It folded into my heart and it set me completely at ease!"

"Oh I'm so happy," he said, kissing me gently on the cheek. He and Giovanni hugged, and then a servant placed a glass in Tullio's hands.

"A toast to the happy couple," he said, raising his glass to each of ours, clinking.

I'm not sure I know what real crystal is, but I think these and all the rest of the glasses were just that!

Tullio's was just one of dozens of toasts throughout the afternoon. All I had to do was smile and wave and receive the love and warmth of the people crowded into the room. Of course the priest had to toast us, but uncharacteristically, he didn't say what I'd expected him to say: that he was the one who brought us together, and made our wedding possible.

"I will not tire you with another one of my sermons," he said. "I will say simply, that this man, Giovanni Masiero, adores this young woman we all know and love so much, our dear Filomena. May they have many many years together!" I glanced at Mama, and she was staring at him with a dark look on her face, but that was erased as soon as the priest finished speaking. I know I must have eaten, because Mama brought me at least two plates, but I can't recall exactly what it is I swallowed.

What mattered was that Giovanni was by my side the entire day, except when I had to visit the very ornate bathroom.

Mama and I were together in the bathroom at one point. "Fi, I never would have believed all this was possible for you, honey. I'm so very happy for you and Giovanni."

"Thank you Mama. And can you believe the priest was so short on words? What happened? Quello che e successo?"

"I don't know, Fi, but honestly, I just thank the good Lord! I've heard enough of his words to last at least one lifetime!" And then we giggled together!

Sometime toward sunset, two of the waiters carried in a towering white cake, decorated with flowers. I've never seen such a thing before! Giovanni and I made the ceremonial slice, and then two waitresses came out to begin slicing cake for the large crowd waiting impatiently for something sweet.

Meanwhile, Giuseppi emerged from the kitchen. He had removed his apron, but his uniform was covered with splattered food. And just like always, he was sweating profusely.

I reached up and squeezed his shoulders as best I could.

"Oh, Giuseppi, there are no words to describe the food you cooked for us today! What a feast! Thank you ever so much!"

"Nah, there is no need for thanks, Filomena, it was my pleasure to do it for you and Giovanni, you are both so dear to me! And be assured, I maybe had plenty of help!"

"Of course you did!"

At that moment, Giovanni swept me away and we did something else I've never done before! We danced together! His arms supporting me, we moved slowly around the floor, with everyone watching. I was feeling a bit embarrassed until more people joined us.

The music that played all day was all new to me, and all beyond description. I wanted to know what pieces the violinist played along with Tullio's cello, and what supremely beautiful selections the woman played on the harp. Giovanni promised to tell me later that night what each piece of music was, but of course, in the midst of our lovemaking, we totally forgot.

I'm not going to say another word about what happened in our bedroom on our wedding night. But I will end by saying that the heavens delivered me a perfectly sweet and gentle husband, one with a heart of gold. I wasn't frightened for a single moment that night.

What thrills me is the fact that this was just the first of an endless number of nights for us sleeping together. God willing, I will be with my darling Giovanni until the two of us grow very old, or as they say, "until death do us part!"

No comments: