Thursday, August 03, 2023

How Happy I am to Be Alive!

At first, Mama didn't believe me!

As Giovanni and I walked to my house from the church, we stopped at the fountain. It was getting dark out, and there was no one around, so I let Giovanni kiss me. I kissed him back, pressing my soft lips into his.

"So when we get to my house, I want you to knock on the door and when Mama answers, I want you to ask her for permission to marry me!"

He kissed me again. Using his one arm, he clutches me very tightly, but it feels a bit awkward. And the way he holds me, I can barely breathe!

"Whatever you wish, my precious one."

Then it hit me: Mama doesn't even know G has returned! She might need a few minutes to adjust to the idea that Giovanni is back!

So I walked into the kitchen alone, leaving Giovanni outside the closed door. Mama was sitting in her rocking chair, crocheting some intricate lace, as she often does in the evenings. She didn't look up right away. "You are home from Nunzi's early tonight," she said. "You must be dead tired from working for Signora Tallarico all day!" She chuckled, concentrating on working the thin cotton thread into fantastic shapes. "Three babies, Madonna!"

I didn't say anything. She looked up. I was smiling, but of course, I was also bloody and bruised.

"Mama mia, what happened to you Filomena?" She threw her lace aside and pulled herself out of the rocking chair. By now, I was smiling and laughing. "How come you are laughing? What's going on? Are you hurt badly?"

"No no no, Mama," I said, setting my hand on her arm. "I fell while running in the street."

"Ma che cosa? What do you think you are, running, Filomena? Maybe you are one of those horses we see passing through town?"

"Mama, I have some very very good news." I squeezed her arm.

She looked at me, squinting with one eye. "What news is this?"

I whispered. "Mama, Giovanni asked me to marry." I held my breath.

"Filomena, I am not in the mood for one of your stories," she said. "You know by now he is not going to return."

Now I was laughing even louder. "Mama, he is back, and I saw him in the church this evening and he wants to marry right away."

She blinked. I could tell she really was having trouble absorbing what I'd said. I know that she had long since given up on Giovanni.

"Where is he...now?" she asked, bringing her hands together.

"He is right outside, Mama, waiting for me to let him in."

"Jesu Cristo!" Mama made the Sign of the Cross. Then she ran one hand over her hair and her face, and then her apron, which was soiled. "I...I am not properly dressed," she said.

"You're fine, Mama, just take off your apron." Which she did, and threw it aside.

"OK?"

"Yes, yes, you look fine!"

Inhaling, Mama nodded. "OK, OK, I guess I'm ready." She made another Sign of the Cross. "I ask the Blessed Mother to watch over us!"

In seconds, I led Giovanni inside. He stood before Mama. He bowed low, holding his injured arm close to his chest. "Good evening, Signora Scrivano, I guess you know by now why I am here." He was smiling that very charming smile that I adore so much!

"Yes, I do," Mama said. "Please why don't you sit down."

Giovanni took one kitchen chair, which happened to be Papa's, and Mama and I sat down too. Without wasting a moment, Giovanni spoke: "As you know I have wanted to propose to Filomena for many months. Well, I am so very pleased to be able to tell you that the legal matter that kept me from proposing has now been settled. And so I am free to marry Filomena. With your permission, Signora, I would like to make her my wife."

Mama had her hands clutched together. Her face was fearful. For a long moment, she didn't speak.

Was my mother going to refuse Giovanni's offer? She turned to me. And then she turned back to Giovanni. "I want very much to say yes, Signor Masiero." She lifted her chin. "But I'm still worried about your father. Has he agreed to accept Filomena into your family?"

Giovanni closed his eyes, and then opened them again. "I understand your concern, Signora, but perhaps it would help to know that I will not be returning to Tuscany to live." He turned to me. "If it suits you, Fi, we can live in San Lucido, right near your mother."

"Yes, yes," I said, hoping that would satisfy Mama.

She remained calm, and continued. "It is not my desire to embarrass you, Signor. However, I know that when babies come, God willing, the grandparents always, always want to be part of their grandchildren's lives."

"Not in my father's case I'm afraid," Giovanni said. "We have an agreement, or more correctly, an understanding, that I will not participate in family events, nor family business matters."

"Does that mean your father will not attend the wedding?"

"That's right. Nor will my brothers."

Mama looked nervous. I could see agita dancing in her eyes.

"I am...very sad that you found it necessary to break off relations with your family."

"It had to be, Signora. If you knew my father, you would understand." Giovanni sat back in his chair. His hair was as wild as the last time I saw him.

Mama inhaled slowly. "I will pray that there will be a miraculous making up!" she said. "Meanwhile, I give you my blessings. I will pray for you and all your family."

I looked at Giovanni, and then back at Mama. "Does that mean you will let me marry him?"

She nodded yes. "I just wish your Papa was here, Fi," she whispered, and I thought for a moment she might start crying.

I stood up. I must have made quite a sight with blood covering my face and hands.

"Mama this is such a very happy day for me," I said, "and I really think Papa is right here. I think Papa helped clear the way for the wedding! I really do believe that. So I hope you are happy because I am thrilled. Will you please please be happy for me and Giovanni, Mama? And please not be sad at all?"

"Oh my darling daughter, of course I am happy for you both! She reached one hand to me and the other to Giovanni. The three of us sat there holding hands.

"I can't thank you enough," Giovanni said. "The last few months, sailing back here, were very challenging. It's been such a tough time for me, but now that I am returned, and engaged to marry Filomena, I think life is going to start unfolding in an exciting way. Signora Scrivano, I hope you know how much I love your very beautiful and very talented daughter!"

Mama let go our hands. She got up, took my hand and pressed it into Giovanni's. Then she used both her hands to squeeze ours. "I wish you all the happiness in the world," she said.

G and I remained hand in hand while Mama brewed some espresso. "I just wish I had some Prosecco," Mama said.

"Tomorrow, I will bring a bottle," Giovanni replied. "No I will bring several. We must celebrate our engagement!"

"Oh yes, of course!" I cried. "Mama can we please invite our neighbors and friends?"

"Of course we can!"

And to myself, I thought "I can't wait to tell Nunzi! I can't wait to see the look on her face!"

Mama smiled as she served the coffee, along with a plate of biscotti. I spoke up.

"There is no reason that you should know this Mama, but neither Giovanni or I have had any dinner tonight."

Her jaw dropped. "How thoughtless of me not to ask." Then she started chuckling. "I guess I am a little bit distracted by this...this wonderful news!" She turned to me. "I am also very distracted by the blood on your face and your hands and knees. Please let me help you get cleaned up and bandaged. You look like you were attacked by a pack of wild dogs!"

Mama proceeded to get what she needed to wash my face and hands with soap. She gently rubbed a clove of garlic into the scrapes. Then she cleaned and bandaged my knees.

Quickly she pulled together a light dinner: tuna, sliced tomatoes, sliced provolone, my favorite olives (from the groves where Nunzi's husband works), and of course, her bread.

Sometime just before ten pm, as I was drying dishes, exhaustion caught up to me. I walked Giovanni to the door. "Goodnight darling," I said, feeling completely dreamy inside.

"Goodnight my love. I will see you tomorrow!"

"Yes, I can't wait to celebrate! I will be done working between three and four."

"I will return."

He kissed my forehead, and I reached up and kissed his cheek. I watched as he disappeared into the night.

No comments: