Thursday, June 05, 2008

All Hail the Bride


By William J. Broad
The New York Times

I love strange weather. My bookshelf holds such must-haves as “Tornadoes, Dark Days, Anomalous Precipitation, and Related Weather Phenomena,” which chronicles things like giant snowflakes and clouds that hiss like snakes. Not to mention big hail, a personal favorite.

As an adult, living in the East, I have suffered hail deprivation, which, from a practical point of view, is just as well, given the damage hail can cause. But still, I have missed it, until recently.

Over Memorial Day weekend I attended a wedding in rural Minnesota. The day of the ceremony was hot, the air moist and still. The bride, my sister Carole Anne, and her groom, Steve, are meditators and halfway through the outdoor ceremony asked the guests to close their eyes at the sound of a chime.

Distant, rolling thunder began a moment later. Then, far off, came the wail of a storm siren to warn of possible danger. People shifted in their chairs.

To read the rest of this amazing wedding crasher story, go to:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/03/science/03hail.html?_r=1&ref=science&oref=slogin

No comments: