Thursday, October 24, 2013

SUNRISE WAY: A poem




By Sharon Flitterman-King
       
-- for Davis Flitterman

Palm trees line the street
  beyond the driveway
where we sit
you, my father
wheeled into the sunshine
by these hands
the hands that write
  this poem

Plaid blanket
  on your knees
soft calfskin slippers
on the feet that slip
  off metal footrests

Your hands are folded
  quietly
a thinking posture
  for these hands
these fingers that I touch

I kneel beside you
  holding on holding on
Mid-sentence you look past
  my eyes and say
  pointing to my hair
You have some white
  a silver strand
  behind my ear

So do you, I laugh
A secret that we share
  this growing old
  this love

Sharon Flitterman-King, who holds a PhD in English from the University of California, Berkeley, is the author of  "A Secret Star."  She lives in Hillsdale, New York with her husband, David King.

No comments: