Tuesday, May 14, 2019

How It Feels and How to Change It

Ask me how it feels and I’ll say
Do you really want to know and
then I’ll tell you:
there’s a swamp rotting away in my gut,
and it’s flooded with something like gasoline
and yes, it will explode into flames if I
touch it with a match. Or, imagine this:
I’m a bear with raw bloody flesh hanging from
my vicious incisors. I shake my head and stare at
you with a savage look in my eyes.
My claws are poised to rip off your face.

Yeah, so, ok, I think that covers the emotions
scissoring through my chest this morning.
Enough of that. Now try this:
Inhale. Close your eyes and take the air
way down deep into your pelvis
and then keep it going until it fills your legs and feet.
HOLD YOURSELF FULL OF BREATH UNTIL
YOU THINK YOU MIGHT POP.
AND THEN DO ANOTHER BREATH
AND ANOTHER AND ANOTHER.
And don’t stop until you are
breathing calmly.

Now open your eyes and look out the
window at that itty bitty hummingbird
sitting on top of the shephard’s
hook. Gaze out into the lush green meadow
where the two brown horses are lazy grazing,
their tails switching.
Then stare at the red tulips and the pale
yellow daffodils in the garden.
Close your eyes again and type the word
SUN SUN SUN SUN SUN SUN SUN
SUN SUN SUN SUN SUN SUN SUN SUN
Until you can see it make everything glow.

Remember this:
there are going to be
moments
so ravaging, so
difficult
you won’t
know how
to move
forward.
So don’t even try.
Just let your (s)words
fall into warm seafoam waters.
Lie back and float on the calm blue seas that
you create out of your own stanzas.
Be grateful that you have a basket full of
four-color images ready
inside your head
and whenever you want to
you can
pour them out on paper
until the crisis passes.            

No comments: