Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Birches and Blue Sky

We found a new hike not far from our house last month.

It's hard to describe how magnificent this walk is. It offers a chance to be mindful

of mountain beauty every step of the way.


Located in Alford, MA, the wide grassy trail draws you up at a steady incline.

Before long, a gigantic cluster of young birch trees beckons.

The birches sit on both sides of the trail and when they come into view,

glowing in the sun, the grove of slender trees takes my breath away.

Close your eyes, and picture the crisp white bark against a deep blue sky.

Now imagine that dazzling image everywhere you turn.

It's one of those experiences that brings the Creator right here, right into my chest, 

as I stand and breathe in and out, slowly drinking up the trees' spiritual energy.

Then there are the birches' charcoal-colored eyes.

I realize I have an overactive imagination, but when I see these eyes, I feel the 

trees looking out at me. Are they happy? Somber? No matter, I am filled to the

brim with love for them all.


After you tear yourself away from the birches, and keep hiking, the walk offers 

marvelous views of the Berkshire hills and vast meadows stretching to the horizon.

Moreover, a clear view of Mount Greylock sits right in the middle of the panorama.

In the photo above, maybe you can make out our little Havanese named Poco.

Another amazing thing about this hike, called the Father Loop, is that our dog,

who often refuses to walk more than half a mile at most in the neighborhood, 

happily hikes all 4.3 miles of this walk. We've done it now four times and her 

enthusiasm hasn't waned a bit.

Nor, of course, has ours!




No comments: