Friday, November 04, 2022

Middle of the Night Poetry

At some dark hour last night, I heard my husband say he was writing haiku in his head.

That started it.

What emerged is below.

First, some haiku:



The moon in haiku

Bright buttery coin of light

night sky in my heart.

Free me of ego

Fill me with love and with light

Dwell in the Divine



(or the Buddhist version because Buddhists do not believe in any kind of deity:)

Free me of ego

Fill me with love and with light

Dwell in awareness.





Wake with no toothache?*

That's a chance to say "thank you!"

Stay awake all day.



And then some non-haiku:



Next time you say "Haiku"

to me in the middle of the night

I will say "thank you very much but I think I will go back to sleep!"



And this poem by my husband, Richard Kirsch:

Moonlight in my eyes

Interrupts my sleep.

I growl.

I howl!

I lie here.



We lie there looking out at the explosion of white stars and bright planets. And after a while, we fall softly back to sleep.

*Thich Nhat Hanh is credited with saying that a day with "a non-toothache is very pleasant."

4 comments:

Kathy Joy said...

I love haiku. It’s an affirmation of brevity and depth. Middle-of-the-night-poetry is hardest to capture. I love that you caught the words and wrote them down for us!

Anonymous said...

Great use of those haunting hours!

Anonymous said...

I was up star gazing. The night before penned a song. Comforted to know of you and Rich stirred to create or to have creation flooding through you, lightly. Thank you Claudia.

Peggy said...

These are all great!!

I love the progression of them. The moonlight is a wonderful thing!

Peg